Athens homelessness policy
The basic aim of the programmes planned and implemented by the City of Athens Homeless Foundation is to tackle problems faced by humans who, for whatever reason, are without shelter or whose home is unsafe and inadequate. It also seeks to develop mechanisms to prevent such phenomena and monitor cases of homeless individuals so as to ensure their eventual resettlement and social reintegration. Specific aims include:
- Take care of people in need of food and shelter.
- Reorganize the homeless center’s policies and create a viable strategy.
- Identify the needs of the homeless.
- Cooperate with the Church of Greece on issues of social policy and solidarity.
- Provide legal advice to homeless people.
- Restructure policies for homeless citizens living within the Municipality of Athens.
- Provide psychological care services and support for the homeless and all people in need.
Key words in the Athens approach
- Partnerships with Athens' largest hospitals, state and private agencies;
- Developing the knowledge base in Athens through training seminars within Greece and abroad;
- Participation in the Greek network supporting the right to shelter;
The quantitative and qualitative dimensions of the problem (of homelessness) are being studied, after which a special pilot programme will be planned and implemented in Athens and Thessaloniki, including temporary hospitality, counsellor support, accompanying support services and social integration or rehabilitation of the homeless.